We are a pastor training school of Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa. Our mission is to train pastors to plant Christ-centered, Bible-teaching churches and to lead, nourish, and care for them like Jesus.
Our vision is to train pastors to plant and pastor churches like Jesus through Biblical Instruction, Pastoral Discipleship, and Practical Application.
- BIBLICAL INSTRUCTION: The exposition and application of God’s written word is the foundational component to our pastoral training.
- PASTORAL DISCIPLESHIP: Personal interaction with Calvary Chapel pastors is the relational component to our pastoral training.
- PRACTICAL APPLICATION: Participation in pastoral responsibilities in a local church is the practical component to our pastoral training.
We believe in the inerrancy of Scripture, that the Bible, Old and New Testaments, in the original autographs, is the inspired, infallible Word of God, a complete and final written revelation of God.
We believe in one personal, transcendent, and holy God, the creator of all, Who is eternal, and Who manifests Himself in three separate persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
We believe that Jesus Christ, though fully God, became a man for the suffering of death, that He is the promised Messiah, born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, provided for the atonement of our sins by His vicarious death on the Cross, was bodily resurrected by the power of the Holy Spirit, ascended back to the right hand of God the Father, and ever lives to make intercession for us. After Jesus ascended to Heaven, He poured out His Holy Spirit on the believers in Jerusalem, enabling them to fulfill His command to preach the Gospel to the entire world, an obligation shared by all believers today.
We believe that all people are by nature separated from God and responsible for their own sin, but that salvation, redemption, and forgiveness are freely offered to all by the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. When a person repents of sin and receives Jesus Christ as personal Savior and Lord, trusting Him to save, that person is immediately born again and sealed by the Holy Spirit, all his/her sins are forgiven, and that person becomes a child of God.
The Holy Spirit
We believe in the person and work of the Holy Spirit who indwells, seals, and empowers every believer, baptizing them into the Body of Christ. We further believe that the Holy Spirit will come upon any believer who asks in faith, enabling him/her to preach the Gospel in power. We also believe all of the gifts of the Holy Spirit mentioned in the Scriptures are valid for today if they are exercised within the scriptural guidelines. We believe that love is more important than all the gifts, and without this love all exercise of spiritual gifts is worthless.
We believe Jesus Christ is the head of the Body, His church, and that church government should be simplistic rather than a complex bureaucracy. We desire to be led by the Holy Spirit in all the functions and directions of the ministry of the church.
The Return of Christ
We await the pre-tribulational rapture of the church, and we believe that the Second Coming of Christ with His saints to rule on the earth will be personal, pre-millennial, and visible. This motivates us to holy living, heartfelt worship, committed service, diligent study of God’s Word, regular fellowship, and participation in baptism by immersion and in Holy Communion.
OUR METHOD OF TRAINING:
“All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:16-17) We believe that God has given the Church His clear teaching and instruction on the commission and mission of pastors in the Bible. God’s written word is the basis for our theology, philosophy, and practice of pastoral ministry. For this reason, we study and learn from it as our primary manual for pastoral training. Our program includes a verse-by-verse study of the Pastoral Epistles, a topical study of the Gospels, Acts, and the Corinthian Letters, and a survey of the Old and New Testaments. We aim to be rooted, grounded, and saturated in the Word of God.
“You then, my child, be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus, and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.” (2 Timothy 2:1-2) We believe that pastoral mentorship is an important part of pastoral training. Jesus trained His apostles, and the apostles trained the next generation of church leaders through relational, instructive, practical, and example-based discipleship. For this reason, seasoned Calvary Chapel pastors teach our classes and interact with our students in mentorship-style relationships. The result is pastors passing on foundational life-lessons and ministry experience to the next generation of church-planters and church leaders.
“What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.” (Philippians 4:9) We believe that practical application is essential to the learning process of pastoral training. This is where concepts become practice, and in-class instruction becomes personal and practical experience. For this reason, students are provided with different opportunities to apply the things they are learning in the classroom. This includes participation in church services, pastoral care, leadership meetings, discipleship groups, and community outreach.
OUR LOCATION & TIMES:
- Classes happen on the second floor of Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa’s Logos Building, Rm. 200, located at 3000 W. MacArthur Blvd, Santa Ana, CA 92704 (next to Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa’s main campus).
- Classes happen Monday through Friday from 9AM-3PM. Besides this, each student must attend and participate in Sunday and midweek services at his home church.
- The words “SOLI DEO GLORIA” mean “Glory to God alone”. This is the overarching theme and goal of everything we do.
- The RADIATING BEAMS represents God’s glory.
- The BIBLE is the basis for all our belief, living, serving, teaching, and training.
- The meaning of the DROP is two-fold: First, it represents the anointing of God’s Spirit upon God’s commissioned pastors. Second, the blood of Jesus by which God’s flock has been redeemed.
- The SHEPHERD’S STAFF speaks of the pastor’s ministry of tending God’s blood-bought flock.
- The 4 CORNERS point north, south, east, and west, speaking of Christ’s commission to preach the Gospel to the whole world (Mark 16:15) and to make disciples of all nations (Matthew 28:18-20).